Read more and learn how to make it. Plus my secret technique that helps makes extremely moist cornbread! Click HERE to read the rave PINTEREST reviews!
The recipe I’ve been looking for! I added about 2 T honey to the batter and baked an extra 8-10 minutes and it’s amazing!! ~ Sarah
Where did this debate come from? Well if you really want to know, check out this article by The Charlotte Observer which talks all about it! It’s pretty interesting! Learn something new everyday! WATCH ME MAKE IT!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on all the newest recipes guaranteed to add a burst of flavor to your inbox.
I’m a sugar in cornbread gal. I can’t help it. It balances out the flavor and of course it make it sweet and yummy! I love it that way and that’s the only way I can eat it! It reminds me so much of Jiffy cornbread!
Feel free to reduce the sugar if necessary, but if you do, remember to decrease the salt too.
This southern sweet cornbread recipe has quite a few ingredients unlike most cornbread recipes.
For one, there are 3 eggs (for a nice rich flavor). Also, one stick of butter (more flavor and moisture), a tablespoon of vegetable oil (for additional moisture) sour cream (for some tang), milk (for a tender crumb), sugar, salt and baking powder (to increase volume and lighten up the texture).
Here’s the full list of ingredients used to make this sweet cornbread recipe:
- Fine cornbread
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
HOW TO MAKE SWEET MOIST CORNBREAD
The KEY to making this southern cornbread is pretty basic but most people don’t make it this way. Basically, all you do is add the melted butter and vegetable oil after you’re done mixing the batter.
I use this same technique when making pancakes and they always come out fluffy and moist. Stay tuned for the recipe. Anyway, I figured if the technique worked on pancakes then it should work with this basic cornbread recipe.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 F. Once the oven has heated up. Put 1 tablespoon of butter into a skillet and place it into the oven. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and save for later.
Step 2: Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix until combined. Then make a well in the center of the bowl.
Step 3: Pour all the ingredients into the bowl except the melted butter and vegetable oil into the well.With a whisk, whisk until smooth and combined.
Step 4: Pour the melted butter and vegetable oil into bowl. Mix well until the butter is mixed into the batter.
Step 5: The batter will be smooth. See below picture.
Step 6: Carefully take the hot skillet out the oven and quickly pour the batter into the skillet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
And that’s how I make my moist and sweet cornbread with golden, buttery and crispy edges. So good! I hope you can try it out!
WHAT KIND OF PAN TO USE?
As you can see in the step by step pictures and the video, I used a cast iron skillet to make this sweet cornbread. If you prefer, you can use a heavy bottom 9×13 baking pan.
I like to use a cast iron skillet because when I take the buttered hot skillet out of the oven and pour the batter into the pan, the edges and bottom bake up crusty and crispy. Crispy edges are the best part!
This southern sweet cornbread is easy and outrageously good. Everyone who tries it always want the recipe.
HOW LONG WILL CORNBREAD LAST?
Sweet cornbread cake that’s tightly covered will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week. Tightly covered frozen cornbread will last for about 2-3 months in the freezer.
WHAT GOES WITH SOUTHERN SWEET CORNBREAD?
This cornbread is so good, I can just eat it alone as a meal. No butter or honey needed but most people love to serve it on a side.
So what goes well with cornbread? I love to serve cornbread with chili, as I mentioned earlier in this post.
I absolutely love it with soul food dishes like soul food southern collard greens, cabbage, butter beans, black-eyed peas.
Southern Sweet Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder Use aluminum free
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt 7 tablespoons of butter. Once the oven has heated up, put the remaining 1 tablespoon of unmelted butter into a skillet and place it into the oven.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix until combined then make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Pour all the ingredients except the melted butter and vegetable oil into the well. With a whisk, whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the melted butter and vegetable oil into bowl. Mix well until the butter is mixed into the batter.
- Carefully take the hot skillet out the oven and quickly pour the batter into the skillet. Place the skillet back into the oven. Bake for 25-30 minute or until done. Sharing is caring, so please share this recipe, so other people can enjoy it!
BROWNING BUTTEROnce you place the butter into the skillet and into the oven, you should have all your ingredients prepped and ready to be added to your bowl and mixed. If the butter is in the oven for too long it will burn so try not to keep the skillet in the oven for longer than 8-10 minutes.
HOW TO REHEAT CORNBREADMy preferred and probably the best way to reheat this southern sweet cornbread is to put it into the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the cornbread on a baking sheet or skillet. Cover with foil and bake until warmed through, about 15 minutes. I wouldn't recommend the microwave because it will dry out the cornbread. So to maintain moist cornbread reheat in the oven.
HOW TO STORE CORNBREAD
- Cover cornbread with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Properly stored cornbread will last for about 2 days at room temperature.
- Refrigerator: Fresh properly stored cornbread will last in the fridge for a week.
- Freezer: Wrap cornbread tightly with plastic wrap and store in a heavy duty ziploc bag. It will keep in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
Click the links below for some great recipes that go well with this sweet cornbread cake:
- Crispy Parmesan Lemon and Herb Tuna Patties
- Juicy Dry rub roast chicken
- Salisbury steak/ w onion gravy
- Southern Pan Fried whiting
- Sour cream mashed potatoes
- Stove-top mac and cheese
- Southern Candied yams