This spaghetti sauce with ground beef is rich, hearty, sweet and savory flavor. It's sure to please your entire family. The delicious meat sauce is made with a blend of fresh herbs, crushed tomatoes, juicy ground beef and seasoned to perfection. It's also delicious, easy to make, customizable, great for meal prep, and budget-friendly. So next time you're looking for a comforting and satisfying meal, give this spaghetti sauce a try and see why it's a classic for a reason!
Spaghetti Sauce With Ground Beef
If this is your first time making spaghetti sauce with ground beef, or you're tired of the jarred meat sauces, OR... maybe you need a better recipe then this juicy ground beef spaghetti sauce recipe is must!
Why You Need to Make it
- Flavorful blend of spices and herbs.
- Perfectly seasoned ground beef.
- Slow cooked for maximum taste.
- Thick and rich consistency.
- Quick and easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights.
- Can be paired with any type of pasta.
- Versatile and can be used as a base for other dishes.
- Large batch can be easily frozen for future meals.
- A healthier alternative to store-bought sauces.
- Always a crowd-pleaser, perfect for feeding a large group of people.
Try this delicious spaghetti sauce with ground beef today and taste the difference!"
The Key Ingredients to Make Spaghetti Sauce
Here’s what you’ll need to make this made from scratch spaghetti sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- Minced fresh garlic
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves (minced)
- Tomato paste
- Crushed tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Hint of Better than Bouillon beef base (for a little depth of flavor but don't add too much) *optional
- Sugar (Just a bit of sugar)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Crushed red peppers
As you know, ground beef is perfect for this type of sauce. It has great flavor, and I usually have it on hand. Avoid using a lean ground beef. Use 80-85% fat ground beef. As the sauce cooks down, the ground beef will make the sauce incredibly rich and flavorful.
What Type of Tomatoes Do I Need to Make this
For this spaghetti sauce recipe, you will use 2 tbsp of tomato paste and a large can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes.I like to use Hunts crushed tomatoes.
What Kind Of Herbs to Use
If you have fresh basil, use it! I can’t stress how much better this spaghetti sauce will taste.
Basil makes the spaghetti sauce so fresh and flavorful, but if you can't find it, use slightly dried basil. Dried basil it works in a pinch. Remember, this is an easy recipe. There’s certainly no need to stress about the ingredients.
Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
For extra quick flavor I like to use a hint of Better Than Bouillon Beef Base. Although I use a small amount, the beef base will make a huge difference flavor wise, in less time! This step is optional. If you don't have any don't worry about it. The spaghetti sauce will still taste amazing!
I know, sugar in a recipe for meat sauce seems counterintuitive but it’s a really important ingredient! After all sugar will balance out the flavor. Start with just a bit if you’re unsure, put add a little bit more and you’ll taste the difference.
Spaghetti Sauce Spices
Don't forget about the importance of seasoning when it comes to your spaghetti sauce. Salt and pepper are important to bring out the flavors of the ground beef, but also don't be afraid to add other herbs and spices such as red pepper flakes, thyme, and parsley to give your sauce an extra kick.
This meat sauce recipe calls for a variety of tasty spices. Garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, crushed red peppers, bay leaf, hint of sugar, crushed red peppers, salt and black pepper all make for a beautiful, bright blend.
Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
There’s something so comforting about meat sauce especially when it's used with spaghetti.
We make our spaghetti sauce with ground beef, however, you can also use ground pork, ground turkey, or even a combination of different meats. Each type of meat will give your spaghetti sauce a different flavor profile, so feel free to experiment with different types of meats to find the one that you like best.
How to Make it
- To make this spaghetti sauce with ground beef, in a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and ground beef. Cook until it's no longer pink. Add minced garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- To make the sauce, add the water, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, Better than Bouillon Beef Base, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, bay leaf, butter, sugar, salt and pepper to the pot with the ground beef. With your wooden spoon, mix well.
- Cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Use 1 box (16 oz) of spaghetti. Cook until al dente
- Serve meat sauce over spaghetti and top with fresh herbs like basil or fresh parsley. Top with Parmesan cheese if you like.
Quick tips to make quick spaghetti sauce with ground beef
- Use high-quality ingredients, such as fresh herbs, for the best flavor.
- Use can use a mixture of ground beef and pork for a more complex flavor.
- Add a splash of red wine for added depth of flavor.
- Let the meat sauce simmer for at least 30 minutes, but it can simmer for up to 2 hours for a more rich and developed flavor.
- If the sauce is too thick, add beef broth or water as needed.
- Store leftover sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
How do I lower the acidity of the tomatoes?
With so much tomato in meat sauce, especially when using crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste, it’s no surprise there’s lots of acidity.
This can give your sauce a bit of a bitter flavor, and it can be hard on your stomach. To lower the acidity of the tomatoes in meat and tomato sauce and to add just a little bit of sweetness, add a little bit of sugar. It’s not only good for flavor, it’s good for balance.
How to Reheat Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef
Reheating spaghetti sauce is very simple and quick. I like to just toss it in the microwave. It heats up in about 90 seconds or less. Make sure to give the sauce a little stir a couple times so that it can heat evenly.
You can also pour it into a saucepan and heat it on the stovetop over low to medium heat, add a bit of water and stir occasionally until it's heated through. Stir occasionally so that the bottom of the pan doesn't burn.
How to Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
To use the spaghetti sauce for future use you can freeze it. Make sure the sauce it cooled down to room temperature first. Do not place hot sauce into the container and freeze. Once it’s cool, put it in a freezer-safe container.
Label it with the date you made it and put it in your freezer. Bam! Just like that you have frozen meat and tomato sauce! It should stay good for about 4-6 months.
How long does spaghetti meat sauce last in the fridge?
Stored in an airtight container, meat sauce will last up to a week in the fridge. It will be at its freshest for a couple of days, and after a week it could start to get moldy.
I promise this sauce won’t last that long, though, because everyone in your house will be begging for leftovers!
Other Uses For Meat Sauce
This sauce is a great recipe because it can be used in so many different recipes. Make a big batch so you can use it in all of your favorite meat sauce recipes.
I used this spaghetti sauce in one of my favorite recipes (Lazy Lasagna). It’s such an easy meal with simple ingredients.
This spaghetti sauce is perfect with:
- Over pappardelle noodles
- Meatball subs
- On top of ravioli
- Chicken Parmesan
- Over angel hair spaghetti
These are just some of the ways to enjoy this recipe. As I mentioned earlier, this sauce is perfect with all kinds of pasta dishes.
Spaghetti sauce with ground beef is a delicious and versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes. By following this recipe and adding your own unique touches such as seasonings and different types of meats and high quality ingredients, you can create the best spaghetti sauce that is sure to impress.
Remember, the key to quick spaghetti sauce is to use high-quality ingredients and if you have time, let it simmer for a long period of time to allow the flavors to fully develop. If don't have time, make sure you let it simmer for at least 30 mins. Both ways are delicious! Enjoy!
If you try this sauce, certainly let me know in the comments below!
The Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef chuck Use 80% fat
- 1 cup yellow onions diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste I used Cento brand
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes Hunts brand
- ¼ tsp beef base I used Better than Bouillon beef base
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp garlic powder or more for taste
- ¾ tsp onion powder or more for taste
- ¼ tsp crushed red peppers or more for taste
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ tsp granulated white sugar Or up to 1 tbsp or more for taste (this helps to balance the flavor of the tomato sauce)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt This is an estimate. I usually add a bit more.
- ½ tsp pepper or more for taste
- 16 oz box of spaghetti cooked al dente and drained
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and ground beef. Cook until it's no longer pink. Add minced garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, Better than Bouillon Beef Base, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, bay leaf, butter, sugar, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Mix well and cover with a tight fitted lid. Cook for about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if you like. Serve hot over spaghetti. Enjoy!
Ground beef:I used chuck ground beef 80%.
Meat Sauce:I used Hunts tomato sauce Recipe was slightly updated 3/11/2022
You may also like these pasta recipes
Easy Lemon Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Pasta
Loved it! One of the things that impressed me the most was how well the flavors of the sauce came together. My family is already asking when I am going to make this again. It was a huge hit and it will now become a staple in our home. I am glad I found you on Tiktok. This sauce was truly delicious and I highly recommend it. No more store bought sauces for me! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
April Boller Wright
Thank you so much Caroline. So happy you all enjoyed it!!
I have not made this meat sauce YET, but I did make your meatloaf and I have too tell it was FANTASTIC !!! I usually do NOT like meatloaf BUT YOURS WAS OIT OF THIS WORLD!!! Thank you so very much!!
April Boller Wright
I hope you can try it! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Thank you!