Sweet and savory salmon fillet with rhubarb sauce is delicious, quick and so easy! Rhubarb season is here and it's time to save this savory and unique salmon recipe to your dinner menu right away! Learn how to cook with rhubarb!
This post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I will only refer you to products that I use that work well, are helpful and useful.
Who loves salmon? I know I do! Especially savory salmon with a great tasting rhubarb sauce. I could eat salmon every day! It's one of my favorite fish, well that and whiting fish. Both are just so good!
In my last post, I mentioned that I had leftover rhubarb which I needed to use up. Well, I ended up turning the rhubarb into a sweet tangy sauce which actually tastes so amazing combined with fish. Rhubarb and salmon is a match made in heaven. It's seriously good! Did I mention that this salmon recipe is super easy?
I tested this salmon recipe a couple times. The first time I threw the minced garlic, ginger, chopped onions and the other sauce ingredients into my blender then placed the fish sauce into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
The second time, I cooked the garlic, ginger, onions then added the other sauce ingredients to the pan. Once the salmon sauce was done cooking, I let it cool off some then poured it into my blender and mixed until smooth.
Both ways tasted the same. I really didn't notice a difference. With that said, I know next time to keep it simple and just throw all the sauce for salmon into the blender. Easy peasy. I'm really starting to love rhubarb. I'm already thinking about making more savory rhubarb recipes.
Don't let the rhubarb intimidate you. I'm a newbie rhubarb cook. The first time I saw rhubarb I thought it looked like a large red celery and it smelled a little strange. I'm so glad I tried it because this recipe is one of my favorite ways to make salmon in the spring and summer.
HOW TO COOK SALMON AND MAKE THE RHUBARB SAUCE
Cooking with rhubarb and so simple and paired with salmon is omg delicious!
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the fish into 6-7 salmon fillets (depending on the size of your salmon you may get more slices or less).
- Add a bit of grapeseed oil or vegetable oil over each salmon. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- To make the rhubarb sauce, chop up the rhubarb, ginger, and onion.
- Add all the sauce ingredients, plus the rhubarb, ginger, and onions into the blender.
- Pour the sauce into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it boiling then let it simmer for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add spoonful or two of sauce on top of each salmon. Place the salmon in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Add more sauce if you like Serve with jasmine rice.
Easy Salmon Recipe With Rhubarb Sauce
- 7 salmon fillets
- ½ tbs grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1 cup of diced rhubarb
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic clove minced
- ½ tbs minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbs sweet chili sauce
- ½ tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs honey
- ¼ tsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Drizzle grapeseed oil all over each salmon and rub it all over front and back
- Season salmon with salt and pepper (lightly but just enough for taste)
- Place the salmon in a 9x13 baking pan. Set to side.
- Add all of the rhubarb sauce ingredients into a food processor and mix until well combine (I used my nutri bullet)
- Pour the rhubarb sauce into a medium saucepan over a medium high stove until boiling then simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add half the sauce over the salmon and place into the oven for 10 -15 minutes
- Add the rest of the sauce over the fish and garnish with green onions. (warm up the sauce if necessary before adding it on top of the salmon.)
- Serve with Jasmine rice (feel free to adjust seasoning if needed.)
If you like this amazing rhubarb sauce with salmon save it to your Pinterest Board and let’s be friends on Pinterest I’m always sharing mouth-watering recipes.
You may also like these other recipes:
Crispy Parmesan Lemon and Herb Tuna Fish Cakes
Spicy Tuna Fish Bowl with Sriracha Mayo
The Best Tangy and Thick BBQ Sauce
This has become this years favorite salmon recipe! I always freeze rhubarb (from the yard) and I’ll be able to make this during the winter.
Thank you so much Sharon!
We absolutely loved this sauce! The next night we had some leftover and we had it on pork chops. Also good!!
Thank you so much!
I cannot wait to try this, it sounds absolutely delicious and I LOVE rhubarb! Can you freeze the sauce and use it later?
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you! Unfortunately I haven't tried freezing the sauce. If you try freezing it please let me know how it goes!
Do you use dry or prepared mustard?
I used prepared mustard.
I love sweet savory dishes, salmon and asparagus. This seems like the perfect combination to me. Although I am trying to follow a mostly plant based diet, I still like to eat fish sometimes 🙂
You will absolutely love this one! I hope you can try it out! thank you Guadalupe!
You had to do it, you know fish was my kryptonite! Lol! 🙂 Rhubarb chili sauce?! Genius! Will definitely give this chili sauce a try! Thanks for sharing this one with us!
I seriously love salmon. I could eat it every day. Thank you! 🙂
Matt @ Plating Pixels
My mom always used rhubarb in desserts. I bet it's wonderful with salmon!
Matt @ Plating Pixels
Ali @ Home & Plate
I love salmon and this recipe with a sweet rhubarb and sweet chili sounds delicious. I don't get to eat it as much because my husband isn't a big fish fan. I love it and will share this with my neighbor for girls' night.
It was so good! I can't wait to make it again. You both will love it! Thanks so much!