Braised short ribs, black-eyed peas, and cannellini beans slow cooked in beef broth, onions and chipotle in adobo sauce, until tender and falling off the bones. The braised short ribs cook down to a nice rich and flavorful spicy chipotle beef gravy. So darn melt in your mouth delicious! This hearty short rib dinner is some serious comfort food.
This slow cooker braised short ribs is so simple to make. Start your slow cooker the night before or early in the morning. Cook on low for 8 hours…then come home from work and enjoy a delicious hearty, protein-filled comforting meal! Serve with hot buttered cornbread.
I can never say no to a meal with short ribs and gravy. Can you blame me? I mean hello, gravy, short ribs, and beans slow cooked for hours in rich chipotle beefy gravy. Just the name of this dish makes me hungry! I think this is one of my favorite comfort foods. My other favorite comfort food is my best chili. If you haven’t had short ribs made this way, now is your chance.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on all the newest recipes guaranteed to add a burst of flavor to your inbox.
I love cooking ribs. Back in the day, my grandmother used to make beefy meals with beans all the time but I didn’t care for them. I know. I know….. She loved cooking with black-eyed peas, cannellini beans, butter beans, lima beans. Every day there was a bowl of soaking beans in the kitchen. I wish I could go back in time and eat everything I disliked as a kid! These days, I’ll eat black-eyed peas and cannellini beans any time.
Have you ever used chipotle in adobo to make gravy? I wish you can taste it…well you can taste it, if you make this recipe. You are going to be in for a treat if you do. It’s so darn good! Short ribs, gravy and chipotle go so well together.
How do you make braised short ribs?
Short ribs both bone-in or boneless are braised the same way. First, you season then sear all sides of the short ribs over high heat. For cooking in the oven or stove, depending on what you are making, fill the skillet partially with water or broth. Cover and slow cook for 2.5-3 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. To make short ribs in the slow cooker, remove the ribs from the skillet and put them in the slow cooker. Add the liquids and slow cook for 6-8 hours or until the meat is fall off the bone tender.
In this recipe, I also seared my onions and garlic. I used a beef broth base. Then add the onions to the skillet or slow cooker. The chipotle really brings this dish over the top. It brings out so much flavor in the beef gravy. The beans bring everything together. Such a healthy comfort meal. You need to make this asap.
What do I serve with braised short ribs?
Short ribs taste fantastic with mashed potatoes, baked potato, cornbread, broccoli, roasted vegetables, corn on the cob. For a healthier choice try for cauliflower mash.
What wine to serve with braised short ribs?
I did a little research and per Food & Wine, Southern French Reds, Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sangiovese from Tuscany pair well with ribs. You can read more about these great wine suggestions on the Food & Wine website.
I can’t get enough of it. Omg, These ribs are fantastic. I love to serve these short ribs with homemade cornbread which ain’t on the blog yet but if you subscribe, you’ll be the first to know when the post is up!
Just look at all that rib and bean DELICIOUSNESS! Mouth-watering. I love saying mouth-watering. If you see me say mouth-watering or in this case, write it, then you need to know it is an amazing dish. I’m just being honest!
- If the sauce/gravy is too thick you can thin it out with a bit of water or add more beef broth.
- If you are using a broth which already contains salt, do not overdo it with salt when seasoning your short ribs. I used Better Than Bouillon Base which already contains salt, so I ended up only using 2 tsp salt to season the short ribs. You can always add more salt once the short ribs are done.
- If you would like to cook the ribs on the stove. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone and checking the liquid occasionally. Add more liquid if needed.
- If you would like to slow cook in the oven. Cook on 350 for 2-3 hours. Add the beans an hour before the meat is done checking liquids and add more liquid if needed.
- Feel free to omit the chipotle in adobo sauce if you prefer. The below is a picture of beef short ribs with black-eyed peas and white beans instead of the cannellini beans and no chipotle. I also slow cooked it in the oven instead of the slow cooker.
If you love this recipe then you may also love these delicious beef comfort meals:
Best Ever Chili, my super tender Beef and Broccoli with a Twist to die for Meatloaf, easy sheet pan Beef Quesadilla or Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy
If you liked this post I would love if you could save this Short Rib recipe to your Pinterest Board or share to your Facebook to save this recipe! Let’s be friends on Pinterest . I love sharing mouthwatering delicious food. See ya there!
Short Ribs & Black Eyed Peas w/ Cannellini Beans & Chipotle Gravy
- 3 lbs bone in beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper for taste see notes
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 5 cups beef broth I use Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 3 chipotle in adobo sauce peppers optional
- 2 15 oz cans of drained rinsed beans I used a combo of black eye peas canellini
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Season the short ribs with the salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and celery salt
- In a very hot large skillet with oil over medium high heat, cook the short ribs on all sides for about 50 seconds. Set stove to medium heat and add the onions around the short ribs.
- Cook the onions until softened about 3-5 minutes around the short ribs. Add the short ribs and onions to the slow cooker then add the chipotle peppers, beans and beef broth and slurry.
- Mix carefully. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Skim off any fat. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
- Serve with hot buttered cornbread.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest?
Thanks again for reading and subscribe to Whisk It Real Gud!
If you are a food blogger, we would love for your to join our social networking group on Facebook. If you aren’t a food blogger, you can still join our recipe groups here and here.