Thank you Tillamook for sponsoring this post. Visit your local Publix to buy Tillamook Ice Cream today!
Cranberry apple pie with tart red cranberries and a combination of Honey Crisp and Granny Smith apples is the most amazing dessert. It’s an easy sweet and tangy pie that’s perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas! Adults and kids love it!
CRANBERRY APPLE PIE
It’s pie time!! And I’m going to show you how to make an easy cranberry apple pie, perfect for the upcoming holidays. If you haven’t tried cranberry apple pie before then you MUST give it a go.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on all the newest recipes guaranteed to add a burst of flavor to your inbox.
The first time I tried it. I didn’t think I would like it. Cranberries in an apple pie? …It didn’t sound too appetizing but I was so wrong!
Long story short, it was incredible! It was so good I wanted to make my own version. So that’s exactly what I did. So here’s my super easy recipe for the best cranberry apple pie.
WHAT KIND OF ICE CREAM GOES WELL WITH CRANBERRY APPLE PIE?
A pie like this cranberry apple pie deserves to be served with a high-quality vanilla ice cream. That’s why I love to serve my pie with a scoop of Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream.
Tillamook ice cream is so creamy and delicious. The ice cream contains no artificial growth hormones, zilch high fructose corn syrup and is free of artificial flavors.Now I can understand why this ice cream is so popular: it’s made with only the highest ingredients and people love to buy high-quality foods!
I got so happy when I found it at one of my local grocery stores the other day. Winning!Now that you know what type of ice cream goes perfectly with this cranberry apple pie, let’s get to the recipe!
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY APPLE PIE
The first step to making apple cranberry pie is to peel and slice the apples. Add the apples to a skillet or pot with the sugar, butter, and spices.
Cook the apples down over medium-high heat until boiling. Once boiling set the stove to medium-low and cook the apples for about 10 minutes.
Making the slurry: With a measuring cup, measure out about 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid. Pour it into a small bowl. Add the cornstarch, whisk well until the clumps are gone. Pour the slurry mixture into the pot and mix well.
Next, remove only the apples from the pot and place them into a bowl. Pour 1/3 cup of the reserved apple liquids into the bowl with the apples.
Add two tablespoons of butter to the bowl with the apples. Mix well until the butter has melted.
Starting from the bottom left picture above, roll the pie crust out then lay it into the pie dish. Pour only the apples on top of the pie crust. Add the cranberries next. Place the second pie crust over the apples and cranberries.
Crimp the edges of the pie. For a golden color, brush egg whites over the top of the pie. Add a couple of slits in the middle of the pie dough.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50-60 minutes or until the pie crust is golden colored. Serve the pie warm with a school of Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice cream or your favorite ice cream!
HOW TO PREVENT A RUNNY PIE
I remember the first time I tried making an apple pie. Omg…the pie was swimming in its own juice and the apples were hard! Pie fail! However, I learned some useful pie tips that will help make your pie juicy and not watery. See below!
- Make sure you pre-cook the apples first.
- Try reducing some of the juice from the apples and sugar.
- Cornstarch will help thicken up the juices
- Try cooling the pie for several hours or overnight.
WHY ARE MY APPLES HARD
If the apples in your pie are hard, you probably didn’t pre-cook them or maybe you didn’t pre-cook them long enough.
Cranberry Apple Pie
- 4 granny smith apples peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch
- 2 honey crisp apples peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups white sugar plus 3 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract optional
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 premade pie crusts or your favorite homemade recipe
- Add apples to a pot with sugar, spices, salt. Cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes. Add the cornstarch and whisk until the lumps are gone. Remove from heat for 10 minutes. Put only the apples(leave the liquids in the pot for now) into a bowl. Add the melted butter, 3 tbsp of sugar and 1/3 cup of the apple liquid to the bowl with the apples. Mix well.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust. Place bottom pie crust into the pie dish. Pour the apple mixture into the pie dish. Place cranberries on top of the apples. Place the top pie crust over the apple filling.
- Crimp the edges with a fork. Make slits in the middle of the pie. Brush the top crust liberally with egg whites. Sprinkle white sugar all over the top of the pie crust. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Who’s bringing ice cream for dessert!? If you’re assigned to bring ice cream this holiday, then head over to this Tillamook store locator and find Tillamook at a store near you!