This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
The best french toast recipe with warm undertones of vanilla, cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg, fluffy, browned and toasted with soft creamy custard-like insides. This simple recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert. It’s always fluffy and never eggy or soggy. This is the technique that I use to get foolproof golden and tasty french toast every time. Perfect with white or wheat bread!
Always remember, someones effort is a reflection of their interest in you. ~ Unknown
French toast is a classic simple but delicious breakfast that’s not complicated or expensive to make. It’s nothing quite like waking up to the smell of bacon, eggs and homemade french toast.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on all the newest recipes guaranteed to add a burst of flavor to your inbox.
No fruit or powdered sugar on mine though. I like it plain with just a bit of butter and syrup.I know that some people love to dress up theirs up with fruit which is perfectly fine. My teen always requests me to make strawberry french toast for him. I will be posting that recipe in the future.
My mom stopped by as I was writing this post and she said, “mmm you gonna make me go home and make that”! Haha. When she got home she asked me for the recipe. She said they were delicious, satisfied her sweet tooth. This french toast is seasoned well so you won’t need syrup! Which makes it great recipe for on the run french toast sticks.
Best bread for french toast?
I use all kinds of bread but lately, I just use whatever I can get. My favorite bread to use is regular sandwich bread, white bread or wheat bread (not stale) from the supermarket.
It’s best to use a full-fat milk. If you want a richer more luxurious custard mixture, you can add a bit of heavy whipping cream or half and half. No skim milk allowed. This french toast recipe is clearly not diet food.
Everyone has had their share of eggy french toast at one point or maybe even several points in their lives. Mine used to be eggy ALL THE TIME! No Bueno. But with a bit of research I found out that the egg taste comes from the egg white. If you eliminate the egg white and only use egg yolks, you will never have eggy tasting eggs again. Egg yolks will also make your batter richer in flavor too.
French and flour
French toast with flour works so well! I got that tip from Pinterest. Adding flour to the french toast batter will do a couple things. First, it makes the french toast nice and fluffy. Secondly, it helps to achieve a nice soft-crisp and toasted bread. So delicious!
What type of pan to use for french toast:
I use a nonstick pan or griddle to make french toast and a billion other things. I totally love this griddle. So easy to clean!
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST
It’s easy to make french toast but pay attention to your bread as you dip into the milk mixture too long or the bread will break and possible become soggy. If you are using regular supermarket aisle bread and it’s fresh, dip the bread into the batter quickly, dip then flip it immediately then dip again fast then place it on the hot skillet.
I always warm my milk in the microwave first, that way, I can easily blend the cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour without any clumps. I then add all the ingredients to my baking pan and then mix well until most of the clumps are gone. Don’t worry if you aren’t able to get all the clumps out.
- For fresh regular white/wheat bread, quickly dip the bread into the french toast batter. Flip the bread and dip again quickly letting the excess batter drip back into the baking pan. If you are using a dryer stale bread, dip the bread in the batter and let the bread soak for a couple seconds then flip and dip and soak for a couple more seconds. As I stated earlier, please do not let the bread soak for too long because it will either fall apart or still end up pretty soggy despite the flour.
- Set your oven to warm. Heat butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Transfer the soaked bread to skillet and cook 3- 4 minutes or until toasted and browned. Flip and cook the other side 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer best french toast to the baking sheet and place it into the warm oven until you are ready to serve it.
- Serve this french toast with berries and confection sugar or keep it simple and use butter and your choice of syrup. Bacon and eggs are a must!
Best French Toast Recipe
- 2/3 cup milk warm heat milk in the microwave for about 35 seconds
- 2 tbsp melted butter for the custard
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 small pinches nutmeg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 plus 1/16 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extra
- 1/4 cup flour
- 7 slices sandwich bread I used wheat bread
- 1-2 tbsp unsalted butter for the skillet
- To make the french toast. To a large bowl add the sugar and eggs and whisk well until combined. Add the melted butter, warmed milk and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well until most of the clumps from the cinnamon and flour clumps are gone. The warmed milk will help prevent the flour and cinnamon from clumping.
- Set the oven to warm. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Dip the bread into the custard mixture*See notes. Place the bread in the hot skillet. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes or until golden and browned. Place french toast on baking sheet then place it in the oven to keep warm until the rest of the french toast is done.
- Add your choice of fruit, powdered sugar or syrup. Serve this best french toast with bacon and eggs.
If you tried this french toast recipe please comment. Do you have any french toast tips? Don’t forget to save this PIN to your Pinterest board for later!😊