I am absolutely obsessed with this baked tomato Parmesan. Beefsteak tomatoes, crunchy Parmesan panko bread crumbs, melted Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce! This vegetarian dish is so delicious! A perfect and kid friendly weeknight dish!
I’ve been so busy this year and on top of that we recently moved. You know how fun moving can be! NOT! It was hard work and it was hot as ever too! We’re just about finished unpacking. I got tired of looking through boxes every time I needed something. I’m so glad it’s pretty much over. Now on to this amazing recipe.
Growing up as a kid. I seriously disliked tomatoes but now I love everything about them. Jo Cooks Baked Parmesan was my inspiration for this recipe.
I posted a picture of this tomato Parmesan on my Instagram and some people asked how did I make it without the tomato getting soggy etc. Check out the steps in the recipe to find out! I love serving this tomato Parmesan over a simple pasta or as a side or snack!
My kid totally loves these things!
- Simple to make and has great flavor using pantry ingredients.
- Bakes up nice and crunchy plus baking is a healthier option and much easier than frying standing over the hot stove
- Great as a snack.
- Perfect as hand food, so you can even make this an appetizer. Don’t use too much tomato sauce or it may get a bit messy.
- My picky kids love them. My 4 yr old can eat 3!
- Perfect for barbecues or any other outdoor summer event.
- Tastes great warm or room temperature.
- You can sub green tomatoes if you like.
- Frying is an option. You only need couple minutes on each side until golden brown.
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 beef steak tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt for taste
- pepper for taste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese mozzarella cheese can be used as well.
- 1 cup tomato sauce. I used chunky with mushrooms
Pat the sliced tomatoes with a paper towel until dry. Season the sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. Set the tomatoes to the side for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Setup your dredging station (I added flour and beaten egg in to two large ziploc bags. ) If you don't have ziploc bags, you can use two bowls and and follow the next steps.
carefully add the sliced tomatoes into the egg mixture one at at time. Carefully dip each tomato slice into the flour one at a time and coat with flour making sure not to rip the tomatoes. Place each sliced tomato back into the egg mixture then into the Parmesan and breadcrumb mixture (one at at time).
Heat a sheet pan coated with two tablespoons of vegetable oil and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. Place the panko crumb tomatoes into the very hot pan for 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden.
Add tomato sauce on top of each tomato Parmesan then add the cheese. Place the baking sheet back into oven until the cheese melts and bubbly. Garnish with basil.
If you make this baked tomato Parmesan, snap a photo and hashtag #whiskitrealgud on Instagram!! I would love to see it!