I am absolutely obsessed with this baked tomato Parmesan. Beefsteak tomatoes, crunchy Parmesan panko bread crumbs, melted Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce! This vegetarian dish is so delicious! A perfect and kid friendly weeknight dish!
I've been so busy this year and on top of that we recently moved. You know how fun moving can be! NOT! It was hard work and it was hot as ever too! We're just about finished unpacking. I got tired of looking through boxes every time I needed something. I'm so glad it's pretty much over. Now on to this amazing recipe.
Growing up as a kid. I seriously disliked tomatoes but now I love everything about them. Jo Cooks Baked Parmesan was my inspiration for this recipe.
I posted a picture of this tomato Parmesan on my Instagram and some people asked how did I make it without the tomato getting soggy etc. Check out the steps in the recipe to find out! I love serving this tomato Parmesan over a simple pasta or as a side or snack!
My kid totally loves these things!
- Simple to make and has great flavor using pantry ingredients.
- Bakes up nice and crunchy plus baking is a healthier option and much easier than frying standing over the hot stove
- Great as a snack.
- Perfect as hand food, so you can even make this an appetizer. Don't use too much tomato sauce or it may get a bit messy.
- My picky kids love them. My 4 yr old can eat 3!
- Perfect for barbecues or any other outdoor summer event.
- Tastes great warm or room temperature.
- You can sub green tomatoes if you like.
- Frying is an option. You only need couple minutes on each side until golden brown.
Baked Tomato Parmesan
For the dreging station
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 beef steak tomatoes sliced ¼ inch
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt for taste
- pepper for taste
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
For the topping
- 1 ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese mozzarella cheese can be used as well.
- 1 cup tomato sauce. I used chunky with mushrooms
vegetable oil for the baking sheet
- Pat the sliced tomatoes with a paper towel until dry. Season the sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. Set the tomatoes to the side for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Setup your dredging station (I added flour and beaten egg in to two large ziploc bags. ) If you don't have ziploc bags, you can use two bowls and and follow the next steps.
- carefully add the sliced tomatoes into the egg mixture one at at time. Carefully dip each tomato slice into the flour one at a time and coat with flour making sure not to rip the tomatoes. Place each sliced tomato back into the egg mixture then into the Parmesan and breadcrumb mixture (one at at time).
- Heat a sheet pan coated with two tablespoons of vegetable oil and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. Place the panko crumb tomatoes into the very hot pan for 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Add tomato sauce on top of each tomato Parmesan then add the cheese. Place the baking sheet back into oven until the cheese melts and bubbly. Garnish with basil.
If you make this baked tomato Parmesan, snap a photo and hashtag #whiskitrealgud on Instagram!! I would love to see it!
Oh my! These sound and look so delicious! I love that you can bake them and still get the yummy crunch!
Thank you so much for this very delicious recipe, i'm gonna make it this Friday & bring to a party on Saturday,...I can't wait, I love tomatoes & mozzarella
Thank you Jacqueline! I think you will love them. Fill me in about your experience with them when you get a chance.
I used to hate tomatoes too growing up! Now I would gobble this up!!! Beautiful photos!!
Thank you so much Aleka!
This looks delicious, I would never have thought of using a tomato like this!
Yes it's pretty different you have to try it! Thank you!
These look so moreish, I can just imagine why you're obsessed with them! They would be so good on a platter at a party!
These look to die for! Nothing like a good cheesy bite with a crunch! I'm definitely trying this soon with fresh mozzarella! Yum!
Exactly. Cheesy and crunchy. Mozzarella is delicious too! Thank you!
The tomato are red ones when you make this recipe ❓ It looks so good❣ Like I need another why to eat my summer tomatoes ❣ I love them but they don't like me as I get older but that's not going to stop me from trying this beautiful recipe, it looks so yummy ❣ I will be making them. Looks like a great appetizer for a party❣
Lynn | The Road to Honey
We close on our house this afternoon. . .so a big move is definitely in our future. While I am excited about finally owning our own home once again (we've been renting since we moved back from Africa). . .part of me likes the conveniences associated with a concierge'd apartment building equipped with a gym. But I'm sure I will soon forget about that as I put my double oven to good use. . .starting with this incredibly irresistible dish. btw. . .I love that you can pick the tomato up and hold it like a chip. So brilliant!
Lynn | The Road to Honey
Thank you so much Lynn and congrats to you! I hope you can give the recipe a try. I think you'll like it!