Do you want to cool down the heat in your buffalo wing sauce? If so, this recipe is great for you! The heat in this sweet and spicy buttermilk brown butter buffalo wing sauce is toned down by adding a bit of buttermilk. Yup buttermilk...Not only does the buttermilk reduce the buffalo sauce heat but it gives it an amazing flavor. Try it and see for yourself. This sauce is perfect with my blue cheese dip (recipe below) and crispy baked chicken wings.
I know of a couple of restaurants that serve amazing buffalo wing sauce. I consider it perfect because it's not overly spice and a bit sweet. I can tell when buffalo sauce only contains buffalo sauce and butter. I don't know about you, but I need more flavor than just buffalo sauce and butter.
These crispy wings have it all, browned butter, garlic, dark brown sugar and just a bit of buttermilk. I've made buffalo wing sauce 3 times in one week. The first time I made the sauce, I used one brand of buffalo sauce and only melted butter. I thought it was waaaaaay too spicy. The second time I made it, I thought that I needed to try another brand so I did and still, I only added butter. Nope. Still too spicy.
The third time I figured I'd just be a bit daring and add buttermilk to the sauce. Then for even more flavor, I browned the butter then added the buffalo sauce and a pinch or two of garlic powder. I like sweet and spicy wings so I added dark brown sugar. The buffalo wing sauce came out so good but what is buffalo wings without blue cheese so I ended up making homemade blue cheese dip. These wings are so addictive and the blue cheese is like the icing on the cake. So darn good! Feel free to use blue cheese. I used Gorgonzola to make the sauce.
Homemade buffalo wing sauce is a waste if your wings aren't super crispy . Slippery wings ain't gonna cut it. Make perfect crispy wings. Recipe is HERE.
Crispy brown butter baked buffalo wings with blue cheese dip
Blue cheese dip
- 2 ½ oz gorgonzala cheese (or blue cheese)
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp garlic
Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 recipe for Crispy baked chicken wings *See link to recipe in instructions
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup buffalo hot sauce I used Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 ½ tbs dark brown sugar
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of garlic powder
- ½-1 tbsp buttermilk Start off with ½ taste add ½ tbsp more if needed
- 2 pinches of onion powder
Cornstarch slurry (optional) I prefer my buffalo hot sauce to be a bit thicker than regular thin buffalo sauce
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
- Want to make crispy baked wings too? Get recipe HERE. Mix the cornstarch and water together until the clumps are gone. Set to the side. Place the butter in a sauce pan. On medium heat, cook the butter until it foams and browns with a nutty aroma about 3-5 minutes.
- Immediately, add the brown sugar, hot sauce, garlic, paprika and onion powder. Add the buttermilk. Add the cornstarch slurry (optional). Mix until the sauce thickens. Set to the side. See note for storing the sauce.
- If making the sauce for wing. Add the wings to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken wings and toss to coat.
To make the blue cheese dip
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the blue cheese dip ingredients. Serve immediately or for better flavor cover and chill in the refrigerator for a couple hours.
- Recipe for super crispy baked wings is HERE.
- Stir the buffalo sauce in the sauce pan very well to prevent the butter from separating.
- Use the buffalo wing hot sauce immediately or store in an airtight container or a mason jar in the refrigerator up to 1 month. Shake well before you use it. To reheat the sauce. Spoon the sauce into a bowl then microwave for 10-15 seconds. Whisk well before using.
- Cornstarch is optional. If your buffalo hot sauce is kind of thin you can use it to help thicken the sauce.
Thanks for stopping by. If you like this post make sure you share it. Don't forget to subscribe to Whisk It Real Gud for more free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
If you are a food blogger, we would love for you to join our social networking group on Facebook. If you aren't a food blogger, you can still join our recipe groups here and here.
Cheese Curd In Paradise
I love chicken wings and am always on the look out to try something new. I love that this recipe is for a baked wing, and I love the recipe for the blue cheese dip! For me there it is not the perfect wing without a little blue cheese sauce! I can't wait to try!
Cheese Curd In Paradise