This Apple cider donut cake, is the only cake you’ll need this Fall. It’s moist, soft, dense, rich in autumn spices and apple flavor with a melt in your mouth texture. All you need is one bowl and no hand mixer!
APPLE CIDER DONUT CAKE
It’s that time of year! Fall baking! Get ya spices ready because it’s time to bake all kinds of delicious spiced desserts like doughnuts, doughnut cake, or your favorite cake. Whatever you bake, make sure you make this apple cider donut cake!
When I told my son I was going to make it, he said I sounded old fashioned. Well, I guess he’s old fashioned because he ate the most of it! My sis called me asking for more. So it’s a winning tried and true recipe! I’ve made this cake 6 times (recipe testing)!
I highly recommend you try this! You’ve tried the apple cider donuts from the store right? Although, they’re good, this cake is way BETTER! And since this is called a doughnut cake, you won’t feel bad eating it for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- It’s a one bowl apple cake.
- It’s an old fashioned apple cake everyone loves.
- It uses fresh raw apples.
- Easy and no fuss.
- Lots of apple flavor and spices, like nutmeg, cinnamon and a bit of ginger.
- Moist, soft and dense with a melt in your mouth texture. Just like an apple cake should be.
- It’s covered in a cinnamon sugar crust.
- There’s a secret ingredient that puts this cake over the top.
This apple cider donut cake secret ingredient is….wait for it…..APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE! Yes, it’s the frozen concentrated apple you’d find at the store. Normally you wouldn’t expect apple juice concentrate in an apple cake.
Usually cakes like this are made with apple juice, apple cider, apple sauce or even boiled down apple juice reduction. Bottom line, apple juice concentrate has more flavor.
Next secret ingredient is…WHEAT FLOUR. Wheat flour adds some nuttiness and, more depth of flavor than all – purpose flour. I used both all-purpose and wheat flour. I’ve also made this with cake flour. Both work in this recipe. The cake flour will make a more tender cake.
Apple juice concentrate combined with shredded fresh apples, a generous amount of spices, a combo of wheat and all purpose flour makes the best apple bundt cake!
The aroma of the apple cider cake baking is euphoria! The smell alone is a sign that the cake is gonna be so GOOD! This cake is perfect for fall parties, Thanksgiving, Christmas or any time of the year. The flavors are superb and you won’t be able to eat one slice.
I already mentioned some of the ingredients above, well here’s what else you’ll need to make this apple cider donut cake:
- All-Purpose Flour – Gives baked goods structure
- Wheat flour – For a deeper flavor and a bit of nuttiness
- Baking soda & baking powder – to make the cake rise
- Generous amount of spice – Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger -for big fall flavor
- Sweetener – White sugar
- Brown sugar -pairs perfectly with the spices and helps with moisture.
- Unsalted butter – for a rich butter flavor
- Vegetable oil -helps keep the cake moist
- Eggs – Acts as a binding agent
- Milk or sour cream. (I’ve tried them both) helps to tenderize and moisten baked goods See recipe notes*
- Vanilla & salt – for flavor
- Apple juice concentrate and fresh shredded apples – for intense apple flavor
- Walnuts – not in the recipe but feel free to use them.
HOW TO MAKE IT
First preheat the oven then add the dry ingredients and spices into a bowl and whisk.
Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients into the hole and whisk just the wet ingredients.
Use a spoon or silicon spatula to combine all the ingredients just until combined.
Peel the skin off the apple.
Shred the apple.
Combine the shredded apple with the batter.
Pour into the bundt pan and bake until done. Cool.
Make the apple cider glaze while the cake bakes. *See recipe
Add sugar, cinnamon and salt to a small bowl mix well.
Using a fork, poke holes into the top of the cake and then pour the apple cider syrup over the top. Brush the cake all over with the melted butter.
Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the cake. Slice and serve. Easy right?! Check out the recipe for apple cider donut cake below!
Apple cider donut cake
Apple cider glaze
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp; nutmeg
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream or equal amounts of milk if you prefer
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 small granny smith apples
Cinnamon and sugar mixture
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/16 tsp salt
Apple cider Glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan boil cider. Once it comes to a rapid boil, set stove to medium low for about 12 minutes. Pour the syrup into a heat safe bowl. Set to the side *see notes.
Make the cake
- Add the dry ingredients and spices into a bowl and whisk. Then
make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients into the hole and whisk just the wet ingredients.
- Use a spoon or silicon spatula to combine all the ingredients (wet and dry) just until combined.
- Peel the skin off the apple then shred it. Combine the shredded apple with the cake batter. Pour into prepared greased pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
Cinnamon and sugar mixture and Apple cider syrup
- Add sugar, cinnamon and salt to a small bowl mix well. Mix very well. See notes*
- Using a fork, poke holes into the top of the cake and then pour the apple cider syrup over the top. Brush the cake all over with the melted butter. Sprinkle and pat the cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the cake. Slice and serve
Make this easy apple cider bundt cake and let me know what you think in the comments below!
If you think this recipe looks good, save it to your Pinterest Board or share it on Facebook. Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest too!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE OTHER FALL DESSERTS