This Chicken Casserole is made with homemade alfredo sauce, broccoli, leeks, mushrooms, and chicken. This casserole meal is quick enough for weeknight dinners or lazy weekends. A flavorful comfort dinner that will become your family favorite.
This chicken casserole is a great recipe to make when you want to cook something fast and delicious? I make my chicken casserole a bit differently than most people. By different I mean I love to use leeks in mine. Leeks bring out the unique flavors in this chicken casserole. My family wanted seconds and then thirds.
What are leeks?
Leeks are related to garlic, onions, scallions and shallots. Leeks resemble scallions, a plant related to the onion, with flat overlapping leaves forming an elongated cylindrical bulb that together with the leaf bases are eaten as a vegetable.
This chicken casserole has heavy whipping cream, butter, and cheese and more cheese and more butter, you get it. It’s quite rich….but, we can treat ourselves every now and then, right? You definitely want to treat yourself with this recipe! It’s seriously good! Feel free to use chicken breast if you prefer, or do a combination of both. However, I suggest you try the chicken thighs. They are so much more flavorful than chicken breast.
The chicken thighs cooked up so tender and juicy. If you don’t like chicken thighs you can definitely use chicken breast but you probably should brine your chicken breast first. If you aren’t sure how to brine your chicken breast, you can check out Ali from Gimme Some Oven chicken brine recipe.
How to make a chicken casserole
The alfredo sauce in this chicken casserole is so creamy and rich. If you are on a special diet you can do half milk and half heavy whipping cream. This chicken casserole is so easy. First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit then prep your veggies. Season the chicken, then add vegetable oil to the skillet. Cook the chicken over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes on each side.
While the chicken is cooking, start to cook the leeks and broccoli together on medium for about 3-5 minutes (make sure to add a teaspoon of vegetable oil) Remove the chicken and set it to the side then add the mushrooms and butter to the same pan you cooked the chicken in.
Cook the mushrooms for about 3 minutes then add the heavy whipping cream and more butter and let it come to a boil then simmer. Add the leeks and broccoli to the pan with the mushrooms and heavy whipping cream.
Season the alfredo sauce and veggies. Add the chicken. Place some of the mushrooms on top of the chicken if you aren’t concerned with crispy chicken. If you want the top of your chicken to crisp up then just add the mushrooms to the sides of the chicken in the alfredo sauce. Place the chicken into the oven for about 30-35 minutes and then immediately serve the chicken casserole. I love to serve it with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or pasta. I hope you can try it out!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO WHISK IT REAL GUD NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!!
IF YOU LIKED THIS CHICKEN CASSEROLE, PLEASE SHARE IT ON FACEBOOK TO SAVE IT, OR PIN IT TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
This Chicken Casserole is made with homemade alfredo sauce, leeks, mushrooms, and chicken. It's quick enough for weeknight dinners or lazy weekends. A flavorful comfort dinner that will become your family favorite.
- 6 Chicken Thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika seasoning
- 1/4 tsp celery salt seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic seasoning
- 2 tbs oil
- 16 oz package of mushrooms
- 1 cleaned leek see notes below
- 2 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs unsalted butter reserve 1 tbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 pepper reserve 1/4
- small pinch of lemon pepper seasoning optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- Preheat oven to 450. 250 if slow cooking in the oven. Add all the chicken seasoning to a small bowl. Mix and season chicken.
- Add oil to a large pan and set stove to medium-high heat. Cook chicken on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set to side Add butter then mushrooms to the same pan the chicken was cooked in. Cook mushrooms for about 2 minutes then add the broccoli and leek. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Set stove to medium-low and add all the sauce ingredients and stir gently. Add the chicken back into the pan with the mushrooms. leeks, broccoli and sauce.
- To add a bit of crispiness to the top of the chicken don't cover the top of the chicken with the sauce. Add a couple of mushroom on the top of the chicken. Place chicken into the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- For slow cooking in your oven, cook for 2 hours.
- Remove pan from oven and add the leftover butter and pepper and stir.(optional)
Serve with pasta, mashed or baked potatoes.
***How I cut and clean my leeks for this recipe***.
Remove the dark green leaf ends and the root ends. Discard or reserve for soup.
Slice each leek in half from top to bottom. Rinse each layer. Dry, then slice thinly the short way.