This Chicken and leek with mushrooms in a creamy alfredo sauce is quick enough for weeknight dinners or lazy weekends. A flavorful comfort dinner that will become your family favorite.
This chicken and leek casserole is a great recipe to make when you want to cook something fast and delicious? I make it a bit differently than most people. By different, I mean I love to use leeks in some of my recipes. They bring out the unique flavors in this chicken casserole. Everyone loves it!
What are leeks?
Leeks are related to garlic, onions, scallions and shallots. It resembles scallions, a plant related to the onion, with flat overlapping leaves forming an elongated cylindrical bulb that together with the leaf bases are eaten as a vegetable.
This chicken and leek casserole uses heavy whipping cream, butter, and cheese and more cheese and more butter, you get it. It's quite rich....but, we can treat ourselves every now and then, right?
Feel free to use chicken breast if you prefer, or do a combination of both. However, I suggest you try the chicken thighs. They're so much more flavorful than chicken breast.
But if you must use chicken breast, I suggest that you brine your chicken breast first. If you aren't sure how to brine chicken breast, you can check out Ali from Gimme Some Oven chicken brine recipe.
How to make a chicken casserole
The Alfredo sauce in this chicken and leek is rich and flavorful but if you are on a special diet, you can do half milk and half heavy whipping cream. However the taste won't be the same.
Here's how to make it. First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prep the veggies.
Season the chicken.
Add vegetable oil to the skillet.
Cook the chicken over medium-high heat until golden and crispy about 3-4 minutes on each side.
While the chicken is cooking, cook the leeks and broccoli together on medium for about 3-5 minutes (make sure to add a teaspoon of vegetable oil)
Remove the chicken and set it to the side.
Add the mushrooms and butter to the same pan you cooked the chicken in.Cook the mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
Add the heavy whipping cream and more butter and let it come to a boil then simmer.
Add the leeks and broccoli to the pan with the mushrooms and heavy whipping cream.
Add the chicken. I love to serve it with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or pasta. I hope you can try it out!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO WHISK IT REAL GUD NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!!
IF YOU LIKED THIS CHICKEN CASSEROLE, PLEASE SHARE IT ON FACEBOOK TO SAVE IT, OR PIN IT TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
For the Chicken
- 6 Chicken Thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika seasoning
- ¼ tsp celery salt seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic seasoning
- 2 tbs oil
For the vegetables
- 16 oz package of mushrooms
- 1 cleaned leek see notes below
- 2 ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
For the Sauce
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs unsalted butter reserve 1 tbs
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ¼ pepper reserve ¼
- small pinch of lemon pepper seasoning optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- Add all the chicken seasoning to a small bowl. Mix and season chicken.
- Add oil to a large pan and set stove to medium-high heat. Cook chicken on both sides for until crispy and golden.
- Remove the chicken and set to side. Add butter then mushrooms to the same pan the chicken was cooked in. Cook mushrooms for about 2 minutes then add the broccoli and leeks. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Set stove to medium-low and add all the sauce ingredients and stir gently. Add the chicken back into the pan with the mushrooms. leeks, broccoli and sauce.