This Italian hot chocolate is a thick and rich hot chocolate. It’s luscious and creamy texture is almost pudding like. Milk and heavy whipping cream makes this thick hot chocolate decadently rich. Adult and kids will love it!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Join our newsletter and stay up to date on all the newest recipes guaranteed to add a burst of flavor to your inbox.
So this Italian hot chocolate is totally new to me. I always drink the regular classic hot chocolate. You know the kind most people grew up on? But a couple of weeks ago I visited my friend. While I was there, she offered me a cup of hot chocolate that was surprisingly thick and creamy.
When she handed it to me I noticed it looked a bit different than what I’m used to. I’m a good sport, so I gave it a shot. It was rich, smooth and creamy. Imagine a cup of drinkable chocolate pudding.
I was so surprised how good it was! And you know I had to put it on the blog!
Fyi, the below pic looks different from the rest of my photos because I made this Italian hot chocolate on different days. The below pic is a video thumbnail from the day I shot the video. Check out the video at the end of this post.
Two things I love about this Italian hot chocolate. It’s delicious hot, cold or room temperature. Secondly, it’s rich and sinfully delicious! It’s delicious hot, cold or room temperature. Secondly, it’s so rich and sinfully delicious!
A hot chocolate that’s thick but pourable may sound weird but it’s so good! My teen agrees too. He said he prefers Italian hot chocolate over the classic hot chocolate.
This will be your new go to hot chocolate!
How to Make It?
- Italian hot chocolate is pretty easy to make. Simply, add the cocoa, sugar, salt, sugar and cornstarch to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Then in medium saucepan over low heat, add the milk and heavy whipping cream. When the milk warms, up add the chocolate chips and stir until the chips melt. Next, add the cocoa mixture then vanilla extract.
- Lastly, let it come to a boil stirring consistently. The hot chocolate will thicken up. Serve immediately. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate if you like. Enjoy!
This hot chocolate is so easy to make, BUT it can be disastrous if the milk gets too hot. Make sure you you let the milk heat up on low heat. Too much heat may scorch the milk. So how do you prevent this? All you have to do is to stir continuously. Stirring the milk continuously will help prevent the milk from burning.
If you notice the milk is heating up too fast, take it off the heat until you are ready to add your ingredients. If the hot chocolate is too thick, you can thin it out with a bit of milk.
What kind of chocolate to use?
You can use any kind of chocolate you desire. Some prefer semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate. Milk chocolate has sugar in it so you don’t have to add any more sugar to it. You can also prefer to mix and match these chocolates to your perfect taste.
I hope you can make this thick and creamy Italian Hot Chocolate. It’s a quick and delicious way to curb your chocolate cravings.
Italian Hot chocolate
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa I used Hershey's chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp cornstarch plus an additional 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4-5 tbsp sugar I used about 5 tbsp
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, cocoa and salt in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the milk and heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan and heat over low heat.
- Once the milk is hot add the chocolate chips. Let the chocolate chips melt completely. Whisking occasionally.
- Slowly whisk in the hot chocolate mixture. Add vanilla extract. Bring to a boil mixing consistently until thickened. Pour equal amount into each cup. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows and shaved chocolate if desired. The thick hot chocolate will thicken more as it cools off. Enjoy!
Quick TipsThis hot chocolate is so easy to make, BUT it can be disastrous if the milk gets too hot. Make sure you you let the milk heat up on low heat. Too much heat may scorch the milk. So how do you prevent this? All you have to do is to stir continuously. Stirring the milk continuously will help prevent the milk from burning. If you notice the milk is heating up too fast, take it off the heat until you are ready to add your ingredients. If the hot chocolate is too thick, you can thin it out with a bit of milk.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this Italian hot chocolate let us know your thoughts about it by leaving a comment below and subscribing to our newsletter.
You may also like these other recipe: