Arroz Chaufa is Peruvian’s version of Chinese fried rice. It is influenced by the influx of Chinese immigrants to Peru. Peru’s fried rice version consists of rice, red bell peppers, green onions, red onions, garlic, soy sauce, scrambled eggs chicken and a dash of sesame oil, ginger and cumin. Amazingly delicious and you probably already have all the ingredients to make this!
This post is long overdue. like months overdue. I came up with this recipe after ordering Peruvian food way too much! I was in love with their Arozz Chaufa/Peruvian fried rice. It really didn’t occur to me to make my own fried rice until after like a million orders later. I could clearly see that there were peppers, green onions, eggs and chicken in the Peruvian fried rice we used to always order. I could taste a hint of ginger, cumin, sesame oil and soy sauce. I also tasted onions, garlic and cumin. I did a little research on Peruvian fried rice to see if the ingredients that I tasted was accurate. Thing is, Peruvian fried rice varies but a lot of the recipes I saw mentioned the same exact ingredients! I knew my taste buds wouldn’t let me down.
Do you see all that deliciousness! This recipe is so flavorful and good! The first time I attempted to make Peruvian fried rice, I thought I would need four cups of rice but it ended up being too much and not enough egg. I only needed about 2 cups of rice. I like my fried rice to have a good amount of egg, so I settle for 5 eggs. Also, I am not a fan of a lot of soy sauce. I could tell the Peruvian restaurant I gave all my money to, didn’t use a lot of soy sauce either. I can usually tell when it’s too much. For this recipe, I only used 1/8 cup of soy sauce (the low sodium kind).
Arroz Chaufa is a super easy recipe to make and as I mentioned earlier, you probably have all the ingredients. The only con is that it requires a bit of prep work. However, if you want to prepare this a bit faster, keep reading below.
This recipe moves pretty fast so get all of your veggies diced and minces and in order.
Skinless chicken thighs is the preferred choice. They are full of flavor and they will taste amazing in this dish. If all you have is chicken breast, feel free do use that too.
If you want to save time, use prepackaged already diced peppers, garlic and onion.
Mix all these ingredients together in a small bowl: Soy sauce, sesame oil, a pinch or two of sugar, couple pinches of cumin, ground ginger. If you prefer to use fresh. I would use 1 tablespoon. Do not add fresh ginger into the soy sauce mixture. We will be cooking the ginger with the rest of the veggies.
Peruvian Fried Rice (Arroz Chaufa)
- 2 cups boneless/skinless chicken thighs diced into 1/2 inch cubes or chicken breast
- 5 eggs scrambled and then roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cold cooked white rice Cook the rice in chicken broth or chicken base like Better than Bouillon instead of water
- 1/2 cup onions diced small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 whole red bell pepper diced I diced mine into small pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions plus the white parts
- salt and pepper for taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Soy sauce mix
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 pinches cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (only add it if you are not using fresh ginger) if using fresh, use 1 tablespoon and cook it with the fresh veggies
- 1 pinch of sugar
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the red bell peppers and onions. Saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Right before they peppers and onions are done add the fresh ginger ( if using fresh ginger) and green onions, Saute for a min. Add the chicken and carefully mix well and cook for a couple minutes or until cooked through.
Add half the rice. Mix well then add the rest of the rice. Mix well. Add the soy sauce mixture. Mix well then add the chopped scrambled eggs. Toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe moves pretty fast so get all of your veggies diced and minces and in order.
- Skinless chicken thighs is the preferred choice. They are full of flavor and they will taste amazing in this dish. If all you have is chicken breast, feel free do use that too.
- If you want to save time, use prepackaged already diced peppers, garlic and onion.
- Mix all these ingredients together in a small bowl: Soy sauce, sesame oil, a pinch or two of sugar, couple pinches of cumin, ground ginger. If you prefer to use fresh add 1 tablespoon. Do not add fresh ginger into the soy sauce mixture. We will be cooking the ginger with the rest of the veggies.