Creamy Fruit salad
This is the best creamy fruit salad! It's easy to make plus it's kid friendly! We love to use Greek yogurt to make it!
Servings 5 people
- 1 cup apples diced
- 1 cup blueberries use fresh fruit only *see notes below
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup seedless grapes cut into halves or kept whole if using small grapes
- 1 cup mandarins tangerines can be used as well
- ½ cup unsweetened Greek Yogurt add more if needed *see note below
- ¼ cup honey plus an additional 1-2tbsp (optional)
- ¼ tsp lime zest
- 2 tsp lime juice
Make the Greek yogurt dressing – to a small bowl add the unsweetened Greek yogurt, honey, lemon zest and freshly squeezed lime juice. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Set to the side.
Add your chopped bite-sized pieces to a bowl or serving dish. Squeeze a bit of lime juice over the apples. This will prevent them from turning brown.
Pour the dressing over the fruit and use a large serving spoon to mix everything around until all of the fruit is evenly coated and creamy. *See note below.
Tips to make creamy fruit salad
- Use fresh fruits only please. I've made this recipe a bunch of times. Once I used canned mandarins that was a flop! The mandarins came apart and they didn't taste good. I also used frozen strawberries. Don't use frozen fruits either. Your salad will become a hot soggy mess.
- Use about 5 cups of fruit. Use your favorite fruits. If you only have one type of fruit just make sure it's 5 cups. If you don't have 5 cups of fruits, you can still make it just make less fruit dressing. If you have only grapes then use them. I actually love a grape only fruit salad.
- Be aware of the high water content in some fruit. For example, mandarins and strawberries have a high water contents. So if you are making this fruit salad in advance, chop up them up when you are ready to serve the salad. HERE is a list of fruit with high water content.
- I use unsweetened fruit yogurt because I like to adjust the flavors to my preference, plus I can use it in my other non snack/dessert recipes that calls for yogurt.
- Zest your limes first then juice them. If you juice your lime first then try to zest it, you're going to have a hard time zesting it.
- This fruit salad can be easily customized. As I mentioned earlier, if you like your salad a bit more creamier then add more yogurt. Less sweet, add less honey. Just remember, if you do add a lot more yogurt, you may need to add more honey.
Tip so make fruit salad in advance
Some people just add everything to a bowl and refrigerate their fruit salad. That's fine and all, but if you are using a high water content fruit, (I linked a list of watery fruit in the main post) you'll lose all creamy factors.
Instead, you'll be left with a soggy fruit salad. Therefore, It's best to make this fruit salad and serve right away.
If you really must make it in advance, here's what you do:
- Make the fruit salad dressing. Put it into a container with a tight lid. Refrigerate for later.
- Next, chop up the fruit and place each fruit in its own container with a tight fitted lid. Chill in the fridge. When you're ready to serve, combine the fruit with the fruit dressing.