Italian Sausage and Peppers
This is a super easy recipe for Italian Sausage and Pepper. It's a breeze to whip up for a flavorful family meal. Serve it as an easy add on to salad, pasta, rice or sandwiches. Perfect for serving large too! Ever taste something so good you had to moan? This recipe will do just that. It will be your new trusty weeknight dinner! The best sausage and peppers!
Servings 5 people
- 1 lb sweet or spicy Italian Premio sausage Or your favorite sausage
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 2 medium sweet onions I used a red and vidalia onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil add more as needed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- ½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 2 Idaho potatoes sliced then halved
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- salt for taste I used about 1 tsp
- pepper for taste I used about ½ tsp
- Your choice of crusty rolls (optional) I like to use wheat hoagie rolls or Hawaiian rolls
Sautee the vegetables
Add more olive oil if needed to the same pan. Over medium high heat add the onions and peppers. Toss to coat them in the olive oil. Add the minced garlic. Saute the vegetable until slightly browned and softened. Season with the basil, oregano, crushed red peppers, salt and pepper.
Fry the potatoes
You may want to do this step 15 minutes before the sausage and peppers are done cooking. Heat ¼ cup vegetable oil in a skillet on high heat until it's it's almost smoking.
Add potatoes, and turn over every couple minutes until brown. Don't worry about trying to get them all crispy. A combo of soft and crispy potatoes is what you want. Cook until the potatoes are cooked through. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Cooking the Italian sausages and peppers
How to make an Italian sausage and pepper sandwich
This recipe can be easily adapted for a slow cooker. Follow all the instructions up to baking. Cook the Italian sausage and peppers on low for 4 hours or until the sausage is very tender.
Sausage, peppers and onions reheat very well. They keep well in the fridge for several days.
Any leftover is great with pasta and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Read the body of the post for side ideas.