This puffy pancake will make an impressive but super easy breakfast.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Add the first 6 ingredients to a blender and mix on low for 20 seconds. You want the batter to be SMOOTH with no lumps at all. Rest the batter for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add butter to a cast iron pan/oven proof dish and place it into the oven for 5 minutes or until the butter is brown. See the main post for step by step pics. Try to get the butter browned and the batter finished resting at the same time. You want to keep the skillet very hot.
Remove the skillet/baking dish from the oven. Swirl the pan so the butter can coat the entire pan and the side. Pour the pancake batter into the hot skillet with. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Don't attempt to spread the batter out. Just pour and bake.
Drizzle lemon juice over the top of the pancake. Dust with powdered sugar. Top with fresh berries, whipped cream or maple syrup. Slice and serve immediately.
1. Camera worthy -The middle and the sides of the dutch baby will puff up pretty good, however, the puff won't last too long. If you want to snap a photo, make sure you have your camera handy!
2. Flour - Use all purpose flour. Do not use self rising flour.
3. Cook time -The Dutch baby bakes fast. Usually bakes in 18-20 minutes to cook. Once the side are golden brown it's most likely done. Add the toppings and fruits etc. Slice and serve. Or slice then add topping and serve. Whatever you prefer.
4. Toppings - Since this pancake will began to deflate once it's removed from oven, have the fruits and toppings ready before you start making the pancake. Then you can serve and wow your family/guests right away while the pancake is still puffy.
5. Double this dutch baby recipe -You can easily double this recipe but use a 9X13 baking pan.
6. Fruit filling- Yes you can add fruit to the dutch baby. Arrange them over the bottom of the skillet or baking dish. Pour the batter on top. FYI, adding fruit filling to the "TOP" of the batter prevent it from puffing up.
Post and recipe updated on Feb 7th 2019