Southern Coleslaw Recipe
Creamy Southern Coleslaw Recipe also known as Cole Slaw with shredded cabbage, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and sugar are just some of the dressing ingredients. Everybody loves this crunchy, tangy and creamy 5 minute slaw. So tasty and easy!
Servings 6 people
- 14 oz bag of coleslaw
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch celery salt small pinch
- salt for taste I used about ½ tsp
- ¼ tsp pepper
In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, and salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
Pour the dressing into a bowl with the coleslaw. Mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Make ahead dressing:
For the best coleslaw, don't mix the dressing with the cabbage, instead, make it ahead of time and store covered in the fridge for a couple of hours or until you need it.
Stored dressing can be refrigerated for a couple weeks. When you are ready to serve, don't add all the coleslaw at once. Add a bit at a time then add more if you want the slaw creamier.
Follow Whisk it Real Gud on Instagram
Recipe was updated 3/4/2019
- Leftover dressing - Use leftover dressing on hot dogs and again, you can top tacos, and bbq meats with coleslaw or serve it on the side.
- Shortcut Coleslaw - No need to shred a head of cabbage. The bagged kind is quicker and easier. You can usually find bagged coleslaw in 10 to 16 oz bags.
- Small family - use half a bag of slaw and save the rest for the following day to make a vinaigrette based coleslaw to serve with grilled chicken.
- Vegan - to make this a vegan coleslaw, use your choice of vegan mayonnaise (egg free) and vegan (plant-based) milk.
- Variations - Add sliced green onions, add thin slices of green or red peppers, as a mentioned in the post. Add jalapenos for a touch of heat.
- Lightened up coleslaw -Use half sour cream and half regular mayonnaise or light mayonnaise for a healthier option.
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 158mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 79IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg