Short Ribs & Black Eyed Peas w/ Cannellini Beans & Chipotle Gravy
Braised short ribs, black-eyed peas, and cannellini beans slow cooked in rich chipotle beef gravy, until tender and falling off the bones.
- 3 lbs bone in beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper for taste see notes
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 5 cups beef broth I use Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 3 chipotle in adobo sauce peppers optional
- 2 15 oz cans of drained rinsed beans I used a combo of black eye peas canellini
Season the short ribs with the salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and celery salt
In a very hot large skillet with oil over medium high heat, cook the short ribs on all sides for about 50 seconds. Set stove to medium heat and add the onions around the short ribs.
Cook the onions until softened about 3-5 minutes around the short ribs. Add the short ribs and onions to the slow cooker then add the chipotle peppers, beans and beef broth and slurry.
Mix carefully. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Skim off any fat. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
Serve with hot buttered cornbread.
1. If you are using a broth which already contains salt,do not overdo it with salt when seasoning your short ribs. I used Better Than Bouillon Base which already contains salt, so I ended up only using 2 tsp salt to season the short ribs. You can always add more salt once the short ribs are done.
2. If you would like to cook the ribs on the stove. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone and checking the liquid occasionally. Add more liquid if needed.
4. If you would like to slow cook in the oven. Cook on 350 for 2-3 hours. Add the beans an hour before the meat is done checking liquids and add more liquid if needed.
5. If the sauce is too thick, thin it out with a bit of water or add more beef broth.