Tart and sweet cranberries are made into a sauce then sandwiched between sweet crumble dough and baked until pale golden.
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted very cold butter cut into cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cups cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl add all of the dough ingredients except for the egg. Whisk the ingredients well.
With a pastry cutter or fork cut the butter into the flour until pea-sized crumbs form. Add the egg and combine it into the crumble dough using your hands. Alternatively, you could use your food processor.
Pour half the crumble dough into the pan. With your hands flatten it evenly all over. Set the remaining dough to the side.
Make in advance: Prepare the bars up to 4 days in advance. Cover tightly and refrigerate until you need them.
- To remove bars easily from the pan, line the pan with two crisscrossed pieces of parchment. Have enough parchment paper so the it overhangs on all side.
- The bars cut better when they are chilled I usually let mine cool for about 30 minutes then refrigerate for 2-4 hours. If you are in a hurry to eat them then cool completely (30-60 minutes) before cutting.
- Cover tightly and store for up to 5 days.
- Bars can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Read the blog post for instructions on how to make these using your favorite fresh raw berries.