Peruvian Fried Rice (Arroz Chaufa)
Arroz Chaufa is Peruvian's version of Chinese fried rice. It is influenced by the large amount of Chinese immigrants to Peru. Peru's fried rice version consists of rice, sweet peppers, green onions, onions, garlic, soy sauce, scrambled eggs chicken and a dash of sesame oil, ginger and cumin. Amazingly delicious and you probably already have all the ingredients to make this!
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups boneless/skinless chicken thighs diced into ½ inch cubes or chicken breast
- 5 eggs scrambled and then roughly chopped
- 2 ½ cups cold cooked white rice Cook the rice in chicken broth or chicken base like Better than Bouillon instead of water
- ½ cup onions diced small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 whole red bell pepper diced I diced mine into small pieces
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions plus the white parts
- salt and pepper for taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Soy sauce mix
- ⅛ cup soy sauce
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 2 pinches cumin
- ¼ tsp ground ginger (only add it if you are not using fresh ginger) if using fresh, use 1 tablespoon and cook it with the fresh veggies
- 1 pinch of sugar
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the red bell peppers and onions. Saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Right before they peppers and onions are done add the fresh ginger ( if using fresh ginger) and green onions, Saute for a min. Add the chicken and carefully mix well and cook for a couple minutes or until cooked through.
Add half the rice. Mix well then add the rest of the rice. Mix well. Add the soy sauce mixture. Mix well then add the chopped scrambled eggs. Toss. Season with salt and pepper.*See notes
- This recipe moves pretty fast so get all of your veggies diced and minces and in order.
- Skinless chicken thighs is the preferred choice. They are full of flavor and they will taste amazing in this dish. If all you have is chicken breast, feel free do use that too.
- If you want to save time, use prepackaged already diced peppers, garlic and onion.
- Mix all these ingredients together in a small bowl: Soy sauce, sesame oil, a pinch or two of sugar, couple pinches of cumin, ground ginger. If you prefer to use fresh add 1 tablespoon. Do not add fresh ginger into the soy sauce mixture. We will be cooking the ginger with the rest of the veggies.