Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
Crispy, Air fryer breaded chicken breasts that's full of sour cream and onion flavor. This chicken breast with crunchy coating with a tender juicy meat inside is a great spin on breaded chicken and can be cooked in a matter of minutes.
Servings 4 people
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts halved to make 4 breasts
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup sour cream plus an additional 2 tablespoons
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tbsp chives
- 1 ½ tbsp green onions
- ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- cooking spray
For the dredge
- 1 ¾ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
Add all of the marinade ingredients to a plastic zip bag or bowl. Mix well. Add the chicken. Make sure to coat the chicken all over with the marinade. Zip the bag up. Place it into the fridge and marinate overnight.
Let the chicken come to room temperature.
Add the egg to a shallow bowl. Lightly beat it. In a separate shallow bowl add the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Mix to combine.
Dip both sides of the chicken into the eggs. Let excess drip back into the bowl. Next, dip the chicken into the panko crumbs. Cover both sides with panko, pressing very well to adhere. Shake off excess. *See notes below.
Spray some oil into the air fryer. Place chicken in the air fryer. Spray the top of chicken with a bit of the oil.
Set air fryer to 400 @ 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness and size of breast.
How to make stove-top pan fry breaded chicken breast
I like this version but who doesn't love fried chicken. If you prefer to pan fry your breaded chicken breast here'a how to make it.
If the chicken is browning too fast. Reduce the heat to medium low. The chicken will continue to cook. You'll need to set the stove back to medium high once the skillet starts cooling down. So remember in order to prevent the chicken from browning too fast, you'll probably need to adjust the heat a couple of times.
- Line a small baking sheet or plate with paper towel. Line a small baking sheet or plate with paper towel. Next, follow all the air fryer steps above until you reach the cooking steps.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium high heat ⅓ cup of peanut or vegetable oil in a skillet.
- When the oil is hot. Add two chicken breasts (Do not overcrowd the skillet) and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy or until juices run clear or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees F. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
*Cooking times will vary depending on the size & thickness of your chicken breasts.
How to bake it
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking NY Times
- If you don't care for air fried foods or don't have one, you can bake the chicken. It won't be as crispy but here's how to do it. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place chicken breast on a cooking sprayed baking pan. Spray the top of chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake chicken for for 10-15 min or until the juices run clear or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees F.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 1903mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 649IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 2mg