Creamy Basil Chicken
This Chicken in creamy basil sauce is a perfect way to get dinner on the table fast. It's a quick and easy restaurant quality dish pairs well with your favorite pasta.
Servings 4 people
- 1.5 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp salt and pepper for taste
Basil Cream Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup red onions chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes drained
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ¾ tsp reserved seasoning
- 10 basil leaves chiffonade
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch onion powder
- couple pinches crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup chicke broth I used Better Than Bouillon
Add the seasoning to a small bowl and remove/reserve ¼ tsp. Use the seasoning in the bowl to season both sides of the chicken.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onions. Saute for about 3-5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add the garlic and drained sun dried tomatoes. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Set to the side.
In the the same skillet heat oil over medium high heat, add the remaining oil. Place chicken thighs in the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove chicken from the skillet and set to the side.
Add the butter and. Reduce heat to medium low. Add heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil. Add the Parmesan cheese to the skillet and stir until the sauce has thickened slightly and is creamy.
Add the remaining reserved seasoning. Season with a pinch of garlic, onion powder and crushed red peppers.
Stir in basil. Taste and season to your preference with salt and pepper or more garlic and onion powder if needed. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the basil has wilted. Add the chicken back to the skillet. If necessary, cook until warmed throughout. Spoon the sauce over the top of chicken.
- I love to use juicy chicken thighs to make creamy basil chicken or really and creamy chicken recipes. If you prefer to use chicken breast then do as you please.
- I initially thought I grabbed a jar of sun dried tomatoes in oil but no. I actually used tomato bruschetta. Luckily I didn't add too much. So you'll see both the tomato bruschetta and the sun dried tomatoes in the pictures. FYI, make sure you use the sun dried tomatoes in oil because it tastes better.
- You can substitute chicken breast if you like.
- Use a cast iron or stainless steel skillet.
- Don't be afraid to add a bit more oil to the skillet with the chicken if necessary.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
- Read post for sides that pair well with creamy chicken thighs.
Calories: 568kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 269mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 988mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1381IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 3mg