Easy Tomato Bisque
Make this easy tomato bisque today! It's perfect on a cold weeknight with a buttery grilled cheese sandwich.
Servings 4 people
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 celery sliced thin
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 28 oz Can of Marzano Tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken broth *I used Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Dried basil,
- ¾ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder Plus a small pinch or two
- Cayenne pepper pinch or two (optional)
- salt and black pepper for taste
- 1 ½ cup Shredded Mozzarella, Cheese Tilamook Italian blend is my favorite cheese to use for this recipe
- Fresh parsley for garnishment
- French or Ciabatta bread
In a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil. Once the oil sizzles, add the onions and celery.
Sauté the onions and celery together until softened. Then toss is in the garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add flour and combine it with the sauteed vegetables. Cook for a minute. Add the Marzano tomatoes and chicken broth.
Use an immersion blender to smooth the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender you can pour everything in the pot into a blender. Let the soup come to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the butter and and heavy whipping cream. Taste. Add seasonings, adjusting for taste if needed.
To make the cheesy french bread, slice the bread and place it on a baking sheet or pan. Top the bread with shredded cheese.
Broil until the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted. Laddle the soup into each bowl. Top with cheesy bread or croutons.
TOMATO SOUP TOPPINGS
Make your cream of tomato soup even better with these topping ideas!
- Buttery Garlic Croutons
- Cheesy french or ciabatta bread (see recipe)
- Add some Gruyere, Parmesan, or Mozzarella cheese to the finished soup. I love to use Tillamook Italian Cheese Blend.
- Garnish with basil or Parsley
- Finish off the soup with swirls of heavy whipping cream or decadent Crème fraîche.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Leftover tomato bisque can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- To Freeze: Leave the cream out of this tomato bisque. Add the cream once you're ready to cook the soup to avoid curdling and separating. Let the soup cool off completely then place it into ziploc bags or a tightly sealed container then place it into the freezer.This soup will freeze well for 3-4 months.
Calories: 443kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 727mg | Potassium: 226mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1470IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 1mg