I wanted to use up my grapefruit, cucumbers and lemons. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to make but I knew I wanted a nice refreshing drink or maybe a smoothie. I found tons of recipes on the internet but nothing caught my eye, until I came across a recipe for cucumber grapefruit lemonade. At first, I thought that cucumbers in lemonade was a bit strange but whatever, I wanted it.
I usually eat grapefruits with a bit of sugar but I never had them served in lemonade, so I was very skeptical and curious about this recipe.
I have to say this lemonade was very good and refreshing. Who would’ve thought to add cucumbers to lemonade?? The combination of the cucumbers and lemosn made the grapefruit’s nicer flavors shine through. I am very pleased with this drink. Maybe one of my favorites lemonades yet.
I encourage you to try this twist on traditional lemonade, or try out other fruits, when serving up lemonade. You can’t go wrong.
A Traditional Twist On Lemonade
- 10 cups cold water or more if needed
- 5 lemons halved and juiced (more if needed)
- 1 cup white sugar add more if needed
- 1 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3-4 slices of grapefruit
- 12 thin slices of cucumber
- Extra slices of lemon and cucumber for garnish
- Add all of the ingredients in a large pitcher
- Stir well and refrigerate for an hour before serving (this will allow the cucumbers and grapefruit to flavor the drink).
- Garnish with slices of cucumber, lemon and grapefruit and enjoy.
*I added more sugar than what it calls in this recipe so if you need it sweeter add more sugar or your favorite sweetener. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Horses and Heels