Sweet and savory with a touch of heat, this saucy rhubarb salmon is a perfect quick and easy meal! Great for those busy weekdays!
Who loves salmon? I know I do! Seriously, I could eat salmon everyday! It’s one of my favorite fish, well that and whiting fish. Both are just so good! My favorite way to eat salmon is with a nice glaze or savory sticky sauce. In my last post, I mentioned that I had leftover rhubarb which I needed to use up. Well, I ended up turning the rhubarb into a sweet tangy and a tad bit spicy sauce. It’s seriously good! Did I mention that this recipe is super easy???
I tried this recipe a couple times. The first time I threw the minced garlic, ginger, chopped onions and the other sauce ingredients into my nutri bullet until mixed, then placed the sauce into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
The second time, I cooked the garlic, ginger, onions then added the other sauce ingredients to the pan then when the sauce was done, I mixed it up in my nutri bullet.
Both ways tasted the same. I really didn’t notice a difference. With that said, I know next time to keep it simple and just throw all the sauce ingredients in my nutri bullet then heat it up. Easy peasy. I’m really starting to love rhubarb this rhubarb stuff. I’m already thinking of other ways to use it as I write up this post.
Don’t let the rhubarb intimidate you like it almost did me but that’s only because I’m new to cooking with rhubarb. The first time I saw it I thought it looked like a large red celery and it smelled a little strange. But I didn’t let the look and smell stop me. This recipe is so easy and delicious to make! Preheat the oven to 400F.
Slice your salmon into about 6 strips (depending on the size of your salmon you may get more slices or less). Add just a bit of grapeseed over each salmon. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Chop up the the rhubarb, ginger and onion. Add all the sauce ingredients, plus the rhubarb, ginger and onions into your blender or nutri bullet.
Pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan over medium high heat until it boiling then let it simmer for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add some of the sauce on top of each salmon. Place the salmon in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Add more sauce on top of each salmon. Serve with jasmine rice.
Salmon With Rhubarb Sweet Chili Sauce
- 7 slices of salmon
- 1/2 tbs grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1 cup of diced rhubarb
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbs sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Drizzle grapeseed oil all over each salmon and rub it all over front and back
- Season salmon with salt and pepper (lightly but just enough for taste)
- Place the salmon in a 9x13 baking pan. Set to side.
- Add all of the rhubarb sauce ingredients into a food processor and mix until well combine (I used my nutri bullet)
- Pour the rhubarb sauce into a medium saucepan over a medium high stove until boiling then simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add half the sauce over the salmon and place into the oven for 10 -15 minutes
- Add the rest of the sauce over the fish and garnish with green onions. (warm up the sauce if necessary before adding it on top of the salmon.)
- Serve with Jasmine rice (feel free to adjust seasoning if needed.)