- Prep Time:25m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:1h 10m
- Yield: Makes 19 inch x 13 inch coffee cake
Nobody Could Make Soft and TEnder Rhubarb Coffee Cake the way Miss Earline, my aunt's neighbor, could. My entire family said so.
- Nonstick cooking spray for greasing
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup of lemon pie filling prepared from a box mix (I happened to have canned lemon so that's what I used. 2 cups only)
- 2 tbs lemon juice (FYI not in the recipe but I wanted to use lemon juice as well)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled ( I didn\'t melt mine, only room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F lightly grease a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish with the cooking spray and dust with some flour. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer set at low speed, break up the butter for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium, add the brown sugar, and cream together the butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Turn off the mixer.
- Slowly add the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture, stirring by hand until the mixture is just combined.
- Topping and Filling:
- In a small mixing bowl, stir,together the granulated sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until the mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer 1/2 of the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top with a rubber or silicone spatula or a butter knife. Evenly spread the lemon pie filling over the batter Spread the remaining batter over the filling and smooth the top. Spread the rhubarb over the batter.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the rhubarb. Bake for 45 minutes, until the coffee cake is a soft golden color and a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a serving platter. Slice and serve at room temperature.