These Steak and Fried Okra Bites are the perfect appetizers! Even if you aren’t a big fan of Okra these fried ones with juicy steak on a stick with Cheat Bearnaise sauce may change your mind!
Hello friends! I’m so sorry that I’ve been m.i.a lately. Ever since I’ve started blogging at the end of 2014, I’ve been so immersed in it that I kind of put other things on the back burner. There weren’t enough hours in the day to do all the things I wanted to do so something had to give. I decided to take a break from blogging and by doing that, I was able to get other things done around my house like late spring cleaning, getting rid of unwanted things, working on my photography business and studying up on different topics, so I really do apologize for not posting lately. Please forgive me!
Okay, since I’ve cleared that up, I really want to let you guys know what will be in store for future recipes. I have so many easy recipes coming up this summer. I know a lot of folks don’t want to spend their precious time in the kitchen this summer. They would rather be outside enjoying the nice weather. I know I do! With that said, I have some super easy delicious recipes that don’t require a lot of work, like this Steak and Fried Okra bites with Cheats Bearnaise sauce. You can have this appetizer ready in about 20 minutes!
I remember as a child my southern grandmother use to make okra often. She cooked them a couple ways, but I liked them fried. Okra tastes even better for steak. Trust me. and to make it even better I whipped up some cheat’s Bearnaise sauce. This appetizer is so good! It’s perfect for Fourth of July! The sauce, I could drink it! The crunchy okra, love! One thing to remember when making the steak is to not overcook the steak unless you like it that way. If the steak is overcooked the meat will turn out tough and it won’t be juicy. 🙁
I don’t like tough meat, therefore, I only cooked the steak for about 60 seconds on each side for medium. If you like it medium rare then cook for about 30 minutes on each side.
All you have to do is season the steak with salt and then coat it in crushed peppercorns. Cook the steak over medium heat. To make Bearnaise sauce, eggs are typically used but I didn’t feel like standing over my stove for this recipe so I decided to just go with mayonnaise instead. It worked out perfectly. Just add all the Bearnaise sauce ingredients into you blender or Nutri bullet or whatever you use until blended well.
Add the sauce into your dipping cup. For the okra, I coated them first in egg and buttermilk mixture then coated them in the sugar and salt seasoned corn/ flour mixture then fried the okra for about 3 minutes in my deep fryer.
You want to make sure you prepare everything all together so the food can finish around the same time. That way your food will be nice and hot. Lastly, get your skewers and stick the meat and okra on to it. I added a bit more cayenne pepper to my sauce than what is shown in the recipe and it wasn’t spicy at all but it had a little kick which I loved so add more cayenne pepper if you like. Red pepper goes perfectly with the okra! Enjoy!
Serves 2 people
These Steak and Fried Okra Bites are the perfect appetizer. Even if you aren't a big fan of Okra these fried with juicy steak on a stick and Cheat Bearnaise sauce may just change your mind! Recipe by: April Boller
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 lb cubed steak. (my 16 oz provide me with about 14 pieces of cubed steak)
- 3 tablespoons butter.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 3 tablespoons ground peppercorn but not too grounded.
- 3 okra pods sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Oil for your deep fryer (use according to your manufacturers directions) ( I used the minimum amount of oil my manufacture suggests)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pinch onion seasoning
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pinch parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 pinch of salt add more after your done with the sauce if more is needed
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Get your deep fryer ready and use it according to the manufactures directions. Place the grounded but not too grounded peppercorn on a plate. Season the steak with salt and then coat it in crushed peppercorns.
- Add all the Bearnaise sauce ingredients into your blender (I used my nutri bullet) Mix well then pour the sauce into a dipping cup. (makes about 1/4 cup sauce) Double the sauce you like more. Add more cayenne pepper for more kick.
- Add the buttermilk and egg into a small bowl. Add the cornmeal ingredients into another bowl and mix well. Coat the okra with the buttermilk/egg mixture then add the okra into corn/flour mixture. Start to prepare the steak.
- Add butter to medium high stove. Cook the steak for 30 seconds on each side for medium rare and about 60 seconds for medium and 90 seconds for medium well. Taste. Add a bit more bit more salt if needed.
- Place okra into the deep fryer and fry for about 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Using your skewers stick the steak with and then okra next. Serve with the cheats Bearnaise sauce immediately.
Add more seasonings to the sauce to make it your own. Make sure to cook everything at the same time so that it finishes around the same time. Cold steak isn't good. The sauce recipe makes 1/4 cup sauce. Double if you want more.